Thursday, December 23, 2010

Of magic and Glitter

A friend of mine had recommended a show to me called "Merlin" (BBC) , a re-depiction of the old tale retold so many times in so many entertainment mediums which in this case takes the form of a british tv series involving a Mid teen version of Merlin (played by Colin Morgan) and Arthur Pendragon (played by Bradley James) before they became truly legendary. A part of me had doubts when i was first told of this show mainly because i've seen (Hallmarks)"Merlin" so many times already, but boredom got the upper hand and watched the show, and now the show is part of my tv regulars.

(Prince Arthur with the sword and Merlin with the torch)

the shows appeal in my opinion is twofold; first is its fantasy setting which would satisfy an amateur D&D gamer or a fantasy genre whore, such as myself. its second appeal, at least to me is the gay potential of it all. I am not saying that is so riddled with gay campness that it oozes glitter (not that there's anything wrong with that) but more of the fun derived by viewers like me from blurring certain lines in Arthur and Merlin's relationship and fan squealing over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment